[all] Debian unstable has Python 3.11: please help support it.

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Fri Jul 15 09:56:25 UTC 2022

On 7/14/22 16:01, Sean Mooney wrote:
> do we currently have 3.11 aviable in any of the ci images? i belive we have 22.04 image aviable is it installbale there
> or do we have debian bookworm images we can use to add a non voting tox py311 job to the relevent project repos?

Hi,

Currently, we only have Python 3.11 beta 4 (ie: 3.11.0~b4-1) available
in Debian Unstable. It wont be available in Bookworm until the python
3.10 -> 3.11 transition is over in Debian Unstable. During this process,
Python 3.11 will only be an available Python version, but not the
default. It will then become the default Python 3, and then, Python 3.10
will be removed from Unstable. THEN Python 3.11 will be fully the
Bookworm version. This probably will take a few months.

FYI, I very much know the patches will be done on a best effort basis
only. I'm fine with that, and I'm used to discuss it with the community,
and do backports of patches that land in master. My mail was just a call
to the community so that we keep in mind that it's coming.

I have no idea what the breakages will be (yet), but I'm looking forward
figuring it out. Over the years, I kind of have fun doing so, even if I
still think breaking the world every few months is a terrible idea.

In a more general way, I am convince that it's always best for all of us
if we can find a way to test with the latest everything, including the
interpreter. Waiting for Ubuntu to have the latest interpreter is IMO
broken by design, because the Python version transition always happen in
Debian Unstable first (and made by the same person that maintains the
Python interpreter in both Debian and Ubuntu: Matthias Klose, aka doko).

Not only for the interpreter, if we could find a way to test things in
Debian Unstable, always, as non-voting jobs, we would see the failures
early. I'd love we he had such a non-voting job, that would also use the
latest packages from PyPi, just so that we could at least know what will
happen in a near future.

Your thoughts everyone?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)