[vdi][daas][ops] What are your solutions to VDI/DaaS on OpenStack?

Manuel Bentele development at manuel-bentele.de
Fri Jul 8 12:39:49 UTC 2022

Hi developers,

After an invitation from Radosław, I join the VDI discussion as well.
I'm one of the authors of the OpenStack VDI paper [1] mentioned by
Radosław. The paper is now freely accessible to everyone in the
pre-published version [2]. Thank you Radosław for sharing.

The main repository mentioned in the OpenStack VDI paper is currently
hosted on GitHub [3] and contains configurations for general testing and
development purposes (for me and my colleagues). The repository also
provides a little DevStack setup for some simple VDI tests based on the
functionality that OpenStack already provides. If we aim for a more
active development in the future, we can also move the repository to
another more official location.

Our needs for a VDI solution are already outlined in our paper [1]. We
are currently hosting part of the bwCloud [4] infrastructure and a HPC
cluster [5]. Researchers and students can carry out computations there.
However, we are receiving more and more requests from these people to
offer virtual (powerful) graphical desktops for graphic(-intense)
applications, so that computation results can be visualized or other use
cases can be covered (e.g. office work). That's why we've had the idea
of a free VDI solution for a long time, where we now (hopefully)
initiated a further development with our published paper.I'm looking
forward to further exciting ideas and a great cooperation with all
interested people from the OpenStack community.

[1] https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-99191-3_12
[2]
https://github.com/yoctozepto/openstack-vdi/blob/main/papers/2022-03%20-%20Bentele%20et%20al%20-%20Towards%20a%20GPU-accelerated%20Open%20Source%20VDI%20for%20OpenStack%20(pre-published).pdf
[3] https://github.com/bwLehrpool/osvdi