[infra] gerrit is:mergeable predicate

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Sat Jan 29 00:08:07 UTC 2022

On Fri, Jan 28, 2022, at 3:51 PM, Brian Rosmaita wrote:
> Hello Infra team,
>
> In Gerrit 3.4, the is:mergeable predicate is disabled by default [0]. It
> was kind of handy to be able to screen out patches that are in merge
> conflict when looking for reviews.  Is there an alternative way of doing
> this, or would you be averse to restoring the previous behavior?  (I
> promise not to complain about gerrit performance.)

This was brought up on IRC as well. My biggest concern with re-enabling it is that the cost is actually largely incurred when we reindex if I understand how Gerrit works. This means it is fine most of the time except for when we want to rename projects or upgrade and we need to do reindexing.

Two smaller concerns are that Gerrit often makes changes like this then stops allowing you to modify the default, and the further you get away from default Gerrit the more bugs and upgrade fun you run into. I'm pretty sure the signed tag issue we ran into is because literally everyone else allows you to push regular tags and signed tags and doesn't force signed tags.

All that said we'll be discussing it during our next meeting and will hopefully have a plan from there: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/InfraTeamMeeting. Feel free to join us at 19:00 UTC in #opendev-meeting Tuesday February 1, 2022.

Side note: Zuul also checks mergeability, but only when you trigger events that cause Zuul to take action.