[all][infra][kayobe][kolla] ping not permitted on latest centos-8-stream images

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Fri Jan 21 00:18:40 UTC 2022

On Thu, Jan 20, 2022, at 3:24 AM, Pierre Riteau wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2022 at 16:57, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 2022-01-14 07:35:05 -0800 (-0800), Clark Boylan wrote:
>> [...]
>> > I don't think we should update DIB or our images to fix this. The
>> > distro is broken and our images accurately represent that state.
>> > If the software in CI fails as a result that is because our CI
>> > system is properly catching this problem. The software needs to
>> > work around this to ensure that it is deployable in the real world
>> > and not just on our systems.
>> >
>> > This approach of fixing it in the software itself appears to be
>> > the one TripleO took and is the correct approach.
>>
>> Thanks, in reflection I agree. It's good to keep reminding ourselves
>> that what we're testing is that the software works on the target
>> platform. Unfortunate and temporary as it may be, the current state
>> of CentOS Stream 8 is that you need root privileges in order to use
>> the ping utility. If we work around this in our testing, then users
>> who are trying to deploy that software onto the current state of
>> CentOS Stream 8 will not get the benefit of the workaround.
>>
>> It's good to be reminded that the goal is not to make tests pass no
>> matter the cost, it's to make sure the software will work for its
>> users.
>> --
>> Jeremy Stanley
>
> We have applied the workaround in Kolla Ansible and backported it to
> stable branches.
>
> A fixed systemd package is hopefully coming to CentOS Stream 8 soon,
> as it was imported in Git yesterday:
> https://git.centos.org/rpms/systemd/c/3d3dc89fb25868e8038ecac8d5aef0603bdfaaa2?branch=c8s

Looks like http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8-stream/BaseOS/x86_64/os/Packages/systemd-239-55.el8.x86_64.rpm exists upstream of us now. Our mirrors haven't updated to pull that in yet but should soon. Then we will also need new centos 8 stream images built as systemd is included in them, and I'm not sure that systemd will get updated later.

Once that happens you should be able to revert the various workarounds that have been made.