[Infra]CentOS Stream 8 based jobs are hitting RETRY or RETRY_LIMIT

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Jan 20 14:48:28 UTC 2022

On 2022-01-20 14:09:09 +0000 (+0000), Jeremy Stanley wrote:
[...]
> The content of /centos/8-stream/AppStream/x86_64/os/repodata/ on
> mirror.facebook.net is identical to what we're serving already. I
> checked some other mirrors, e.g. linuxsoft.cern.ch, and see the
> same. The repomd.xml indices on them all match too.

Further investigation of our mirror update logs indicates there was
some (likely global) upheaval for CentOS Stream 8 package indices,
which we then mirrored on what was probably a several hour delay as
we're multiple mirror "hops" from their primary. The mirror at
LeaseWeb, which we pull from, had an index update around 06:00 UTC
which seems to roughly coincide with when the problems began, and
then we saw those indices switch back around 12:00 UTC to what they
had been previously.

The timeframe where the suspected problem indices were being served
from our mirrors was approximately 06:55-12:57 UTC. We also saw a
failure to upload updated centos-8-stream images to a significant
proportion of our providers shortly prior to this, so out of an
abundance of caution I've issued a delete for that image (falling
back to the one built yesterday), and our builders are presently
refreshing it from what is hopefully now a sane mirror of the
packages and indices.
--
Jeremy Stanley