[manila][cinder][glance][nova] Pop-up team for design and development of a Cephadm DevStack plugin

Victoria Martínez de la Cruz victoria at vmartinezdelacruz.com
Wed Jan 19 11:04:07 UTC 2022

Hi all,

I'm reaching out to you to let you know that we will start the design and
development of a Cephadm DevStack plugin.

Some of the reasons on why we want to take this approach:

- devstack-plugin-ceph worked for us for a lot of years, but the
development of it relies on several hacks to adapt to the different Ceph
versions we use and the different distros we support. This led to a
monolithic script that sometimes is hard to debug and break our development
environments and our CI
- cephadm is the deployment tool developed and maintained by the Ceph
community, it allows their users to get specific Ceph versions very easily
and enforces good practices for Ceph clusters. From their docs, "Cephadm
manages the full lifecycle of a Ceph cluster. It starts by bootstrapping a
tiny Ceph cluster on a single node (one monitor and one manager) and then
uses the orchestration interface (“day 2” commands) to expand the cluster
to include all hosts and to provision all Ceph daemons and services. [0]"
- OpenStack deployment tools are starting to use cephadm as their way to
deploy Ceph, so it would be nice to include cephadm in our development
process to be closer with what is being done in the field

I started the development of this in [1], but it might be better to change
devstack-plugin-ceph to do this instead of having a new plugin. This is
something I would love to discuss in a first meeting.

Having said this, I propose using the channel #openstack-cephadm in the
OFTC network to talk about this and set up a first meeting with people
interested in contributing to this effort.

Thanks,

Victoria

[0] https://docs.ceph.com/en/pacific/cephadm/
[1] https://github.com/vkmc/devstack-plugin-cephadm