[nova][dev] Revisiting qemu emulation where guest arch != host arch

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Wed Jan 5 16:02:25 UTC 2022

On Wed, 2020-07-15 at 14:17 +0000, Apsey, Christopher wrote:
> All,
>
> A few years ago I asked a question[1] about why nova, when given a hw_architecture property from glance for an image, would not end up using the correct qemu-system-xx binary when starting the guest process on a compute node if that compute nodes architecture did not match the proposed guest architecture.  As an example, if we had all x86 hosts, but wanted to run an emulated ppc guest, we should be able to do that given that at least one compute node had qemu-system-ppc already installed and libvirt was successfully reporting that as a supported architecture to nova.  It seemed like a heavy lift at the time, so it was put on the back burner.
>
> I am now in a position to fund a contract developer to make this happen, so the question is: would this be a useful blueprint that would potentially be accepted?

yes, i cant really speak to how much use it would get or how useful it woudl be to the majoriy fo user but i would be supportive of adding this
capablity. We have to be a little carful to get the design wright for example we might want to differnciate between the native architecture and
emulated architectures

e.g. use HW_ARCH_X86 to idenfiy the host as being x86 and COMPUTE_ARCH_X86 for emulated

with the new "in" suppot being added to placment we can use required=in:HW_ARCH_X86,COMPUTE_ARCH_X86 in cases where you dont care and by default
if you wanted native only you could use the HW_ARCH_* traits in the image and we can have a prefileter add the both triats by default if
the architrue is set in the iamge and there is not arch trait in the flavor or image.

i will certenly review a spec if you proporse one but you might now have time to get it approved this cycle
the spec deadlien woudl have been thursday btu it has been moved to next week.