[infra] Missing releases from opendev.org/opendev/git-review/tags

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Jan 4 21:20:24 UTC 2022

On 2022-01-04 14:37:55 -0600 (-0600), Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> I noticed that the list of tags for git-review in the website
> does not include the 2.2.x tags, which exist in git:
[...]
> The 2.2.0 is missing from
> https://opendev.org/opendev/git-review/tags
>
> Coincidentally, it is also missing from
> https://tarballs.opendev.org/openstack/git-review/
>
> Is this something that the infrastructure team did on purpose?
> Or is this just a bug to be reported?

A little of both.

For the first URL I suspect that's a bug in Gitea not correctly
reflecting mirrored tags. I don't recall noticing this before, but
it definitely seems like Gitea is serving that view from its
database and not updating whenever a new tag is pushed in. It
doesn't seem to only affect the git-review repo. For example, the
most recent nova tag displayed is from 2019-06-18. Skimming the
OpenDev meeting agendas from around then, it looks like roughly a
month later we were rebuilding the Gitea server farm (all the
machines currently seem to have creation dates between 2019-07-23
and 2019-07-29), so it's quite probable that recreating the database
is the only thing which has been populating the tags table in their
DB. We'll have to take a look at it and probably file a bug with the
Gitea maintainers.

As for the tarballs URL, we moved git-review from the openstack Git
namespace to the opendev Git namespace, but don't appear to have set
up a redirect for those files on the tarballs site nor moved them to
the opendev tarballs directory in AFS like when we moved bindep.
I'll work on cleaning that up, thanks for bringing it to my
attention!

We also moved gating of git-review from the openstack Zuul tenant to
the opendev Zuul tenant, where tarballs site uploads are not
included in the Python release job (though I'm not opposed to adding
it, probably in a child job). It's expected that the place to obtain
new git-review tarballs is PyPI, as mentioned in our release
announcements on the service-announce mailing list:

http://lists.opendev.org/pipermail/service-announce/2021-November/000028.html

I agree, all of this is a bit confusing, and could stand to get
fixed up.
--
Jeremy Stanley