[TripleO] centos9 jobs only for master, centos 8 & 9 for wallaby

Marios Andreou marios at redhat.com
Thu Feb 24 15:11:34 UTC 2022

Hello TripleO o/

During the last period the tripleo-ci team has been working on getting
tripleo CI jobs to run centos-9.

On master branches across all TripleO repos we now run C9 exclusively
(since [1]).

On Wallaby branches, after the work at [2] (in particular after
https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/tripleo-ci/+/830132 merges) we
will run both C8 and C9 jobs. I started an etherpad at [3] thinking
this would be a PTG topic, but I think we'll want to have this
conversation way before then. There is a tripleo-heat-templates
example in the etherpad that shows what we can expect from the job
runs (note the exact jobs that run will vary per repo and even between
changes depending on the files touched - but generally there will be
duplication between 8 and 9 jobs).

The current proposal is that we keep a minimal subset on C8 Wallaby,
with C9 wallaby having the full set of jobs.

Two factors that will affect our decisions are (there may be more?)

  i) Upgrades requirements - are we supporting upgrading to Wallaby on
8? For example, the coming undercloud-upgrade-ffu job will be train 8
to wallaby 8. In which case we definitely need to keep at least some
subset of 8 jobs (and can't entertain the removal of 8 from Wallaby
completely).
  ii) Are we importing from Wallaby 8 or Wallaby 9? Currently it is 8
but this will soon switch.

For the wallaby c8 'subset of jobs' e.g. multinode, vanilla standalone
(no scenarios? some subset of them?), undercloud-ffu, minor update.

This is just to start the conversation so please reply if you have
thoughts or comments about any of the above.

We are planning to discuss this in the coming tripleo-ci community
call this coming Tuesday at 1330 UTC - meeting link at [4] so please
join us if you can and would like to participate,

regards, marios

[1] https://review.opendev.org/q/topic:c8_teardown_master
[2] https://review.opendev.org/q/topic:c9_wallaby_gates
[3] https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/tripleoci-wallaby-centos-8-9