[all] [requirements] Analysing inflation of requirements in os-brick (was: Artificially inflated requirements in os-brick)

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Feb 22 17:52:26 UTC 2022

On 2022-02-22 17:56:15 +0100 (+0100), Thomas Goirand wrote:
[...]
> I'm now thinking: we should re-do lower constraints checks!!!
>
> Your thoughts anyone?

The reason they were dropped is that the current way we install
Python library dependencies for testing is to rely on pip, and when
pip eventually grew a consistent dependency solver it quickly
pointed out that we weren't testing what we thought we were. Back
when pip was willing to install mutually-conflicting versions of
transitive dependencies, the lower bounds we claimed to test were a
convenient fiction.

There is no automated tool available which can find a coherent set
of lower bounds; pip is focused on finding the highest available
versions which meet specified ranges. One reason such a tool doesn't
exist though is that, as you choose earlier and earlier versions of
packages, you also effectively travel back in time to older
packaging standards with less available data for making appropriate
dependency decisions (and you'll eventually hit bedrock in places
where nobody was declaring minimum versions so you get foo==0.0.1
for lots of foo). It's this "time travel" aspect which is most
problematic, because dependencies are declared within the packages
themselves, so there is no way to go back later and update the
minimum requirements for an already published version.

It's probably feasible to hand curate, with lots of trial and error,
a coherent lower bound set for a project with a moderate number of
dependencies, but every time you update it you have to repeat that
same cumbersome manual experimentation due to ripple effects from
interdependencies between the packages. At OpenStack's collective
scale, it borders on impossible.
--
Jeremy Stanley