[all] [requirements] Artificially inflated requirements in os-brick

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Fri Feb 18 16:42:22 UTC 2022

Hi,

I've been quite surprised to see $topic. Most requirements for os-brick
are now to be found in Yoga only. I've asked why, and I've been told
that the reason is because "we've been testing with the new versions
only for the number of months".

Well, the reason why someone would increase a minimum requirement *must*
be only because of the need of a new feature, and should be treated with
care. Otherwise, this makes upgrading very dangerous and annoying to do.
As much as possible, I would strongly recommend that any dependency in
Stable can be found in Stable-1 (only when a new feature is mandatory,
then it's ok-ish to require that new version, though I would advocate
for a possible fallback if that's not too complex to write).

Now, if that's the path we're taking, all is going backward 5 years ago,
and then my thinking is: we must reintroduce lower-constraints testing ASAP.

Your thoughts everyone?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

P.S: Please note that this is absolutely not about os-brick, I'm not
pointing my finger to any team, it's a global thinking for the whole
OpenStack project.