[all][tc] OpenStack next release name is final- "OpenStack Zed"

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Tue Feb 15 16:55:10 UTC 2022

 ---- On Tue, 15 Feb 2022 06:45:05 -0600 Sean Mooney <smooney at redhat.com> wrote ----
> [...]
 > >  >  > >
 > >  >  > > Step1: Name nomination from community members[2].
 > >  >  > >
 > >  >  > > Step2: TC voted on the nominated names[3].
 > >  >  > >
 > >  >  > > Step3: Trademark checks by Foundation on winners from TC votes.
 > >  >  > > In trademark check, “Zed” is finalized as the best bet for this release.
 > >  >  > >
 > >  >  > > Thanks community members for participating in name nomination, TC to vote and Foundation for performing the
 > >  >  > > trademark checks.
 > >  >  > >
 > >  >  > > [1] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/release-naming.html#release-name-criteria
 > >  >  > > [2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Release_Naming/Z_Proposals
 > >  >  > > [3] https://civs1.civs.us/cgi-bin/results.pl?id=E_693bd8bbe63ca52f
 > >  >  >
 > >  >  > hi there, thanks for the update
 > >  >  >
 > >  >  > I have a stupid, please excuse me if it was written already in some
 > >  >  >
 > >  >  > 1. Zen - after Yoga, you should get Zen)  (Not defeated in any contest
 > >  >  > vs. another choice)
 > >  >  > 2. Zombie - an undead
 > >  >  > 3. Zeta , loses to Zombie - an undead by 5–2
 > >  >  > 4. Zed , loses to Zombie - an undead by 4–1
 > >  >  >
 > >  >  > did 1,2,3 fail the trademark checks?
 > >  >
 > >  > Yes, as per the trademark checks done by the Foundation, Zed is the best choice.
 > >  >
 > >  > Has this passed a cultural check as well?
 > >  > YMMV, but a few generations will immediately associate this name with a not so flattering scene [4] from the timeless classic motion picture named Pulp Fiction.
 > >  > 4: https://youtu.be/5lL1ypndnWA
 > >
 > > We did check on ML and asked all the community members for the culture or historical objection on proposed names before election and it
 > > seems no objection.
 > >
 > > - https://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2022-January/026868.html
 > since one has been raised now is the TC goingt to revaulate the name in there next meeting?
 > i am proably on the border of getting the refernce being born in 1989 i have seen pulp fiction 3 or 4 times but ill
 > admit the name did not ring a bell or make a connection to the zed charicter. while zed is proably my least prefered choice
 > from the 4 option that were trade mark checked( im not going to actully express my prefernce to avoid biasing this dicsuction)
 >  part of me does like the irony of the Z release being zed in the same as homer j simpsoncs middel name is jay but that pun
 > only works if you pernouch "Z" as zed and not "zee". that is the primary asscation that think of when i here zed for Z.
 > The TC shoudl proably at least discuss it in the next meeting an reaffirm there previous decsion or revaulate.

Thanks for raising concern. IMO, we had gone through the complete process including an extra checks of
cultural/historic objection on Z names before election start and that is maximum we can do. I do not think
we will find any name without any objection :), nothing is perfect. With trademark check cost, time constraints etc
we need to go with the 'Zed' as final name for Z.

And for future improvement, definitely TC has action item to discuss on different naming approach for after Z release.
Let's wait for the proposal and there we can discuss about best possible approach for future naming.

-gmann