[all][tc] OpenStack next release name is final- "OpenStack Zed"

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Tue Feb 15 12:45:05 UTC 2022

On Mon, 2022-02-14 at 16:30 -0600, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
>  ---- On Mon, 14 Feb 2022 13:58:19 -0600 Frode Nordahl <frode.nordahl at canonical.com> wrote ----
>  >
>  >
>  > man. 14. feb. 2022, 19:36 skrev Ghanshyam Mann <gmann at ghanshyammann.com>:
>  >  ---- On Mon, 14 Feb 2022 11:53:04 -0600 Giulio Fidente <gfidente at redhat.com> wrote ----
>  >  > On 2/14/22 18:03, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
>  >  > > Hello Everyone,
>  >  > >
>  >  > > We have the final name selected for the OpenStack next release name. Its "OpenStack Zed".
>  >  > >
>  >  > > As per the release name criteria[1], selection of release name has gone through three steps:
>  >  > >
>  >  > > Step1: Name nomination from community members[2].
>  >  > >
>  >  > > Step2: TC voted on the nominated names[3].
>  >  > >
>  >  > > Step3: Trademark checks by Foundation on winners from TC votes.
>  >  > > In trademark check, “Zed” is finalized as the best bet for this release.
>  >  > >
>  >  > > Thanks community members for participating in name nomination, TC to vote and Foundation for performing the
>  >  > > trademark checks.
>  >  > >
>  >  > > [1] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/release-naming.html#release-name-criteria
>  >  > > [2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Release_Naming/Z_Proposals
>  >  > > [3] https://civs1.civs.us/cgi-bin/results.pl?id=E_693bd8bbe63ca52f
>  >  >
>  >  > hi there, thanks for the update
>  >  >
>  >  > I have a stupid, please excuse me if it was written already in some
>  >  >
>  >  > 1. Zen - after Yoga, you should get Zen)  (Not defeated in any contest
>  >  > vs. another choice)
>  >  > 2. Zombie - an undead
>  >  > 3. Zeta , loses to Zombie - an undead by 5–2
>  >  > 4. Zed , loses to Zombie - an undead by 4–1
>  >  >
>  >  > did 1,2,3 fail the trademark checks?
>  >
>  > Yes, as per the trademark checks done by the Foundation, Zed is the best choice.
>  >
>  > Has this passed a cultural check as well?
>  > YMMV, but a few generations will immediately associate this name with a not so flattering scene [4] from the timeless classic motion picture named Pulp Fiction.
>  > 4: https://youtu.be/5lL1ypndnWA
>
> We did check on ML and asked all the community members for the culture or historical objection on proposed names before election and it
> seems no objection.
>
> - https://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2022-January/026868.html
since one has been raised now is the TC goingt to revaulate the name in there next meeting?
i am proably on the border of getting the refernce being born in 1989 i have seen pulp fiction 3 or 4 times but ill
admit the name did not ring a bell or make a connection to the zed charicter. while zed is proably my least prefered choice
from the 4 option that were trade mark checked( im not going to actully express my prefernce to avoid biasing this dicsuction)
 part of me does like the irony of the Z release being zed in the same as homer j simpsoncs middel name is jay but that pun
only works if you pernouch "Z" as zed and not "zee". that is the primary asscation that think of when i here zed for Z.
The TC shoudl proably at least discuss it in the next meeting an reaffirm there previous decsion or revaulate.