[Tripleo] Issue in Baremetal Provisioning from Overcloud

Julia Kreger juliaashleykreger at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 14:35:59 UTC 2022

On Mon, Feb 7, 2022 at 4:47 AM Anirudh Gupta <anyrude10 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Julia,
>
> Thanks a lot for your responses and support.
> To Update on the ongoing issue, I tried deploying the overcloud with your
> valuable suggestions i.e by passing "*DhcpAgentNotification: true*" in
> ironic-overcloud.yaml
> The setup came up successfully, but with this configuration the IP
> allocated on the system is one which is being configured while creating the
> subnet in openstack.
>
> [image: image.png]
>
> The system is still getting the IP (172.23.3.212) from neutron. The subnet
> range was configured as *172.23.3.210-172.23.3.240 *while creating the
> provisioning subnet.
> The system gets stuck here and no action is performed after this.
>
> Is there any way to resolve this and make successful  provisioning the
> baremetal node in *TripleO Train Release* (Since RHOSP 16 was on Train,
> so I thought to go with that version for better stability)
>
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_openstack_platform/16.2/html-single/release_notes/index
>
> I have some queries:
>

>    1. Is passing "*DhcpAgentNotification: true" *enough or do we have to
>    make some other changes as well?

I have no way to really know. My understanding is based on the contents in
the templates you have chosen and/or modified, then the neutron-dhcp-agent
can be disabled. It would be easy to see if it is in place or not by
running `openstack network agent list` and looking for a neutron dhcp
agent. If not present, something is disabling the agent which is required
for bare metal to function as the integrated DHCP server in OVN does not
support PXE options such as those used to facilitate network booting.

>    1. Although there are some security concerns specified in the
>    document, but Currently I am focusing on the default flat bare
>    metal approach which has dedicated interface for bare metal Provisioning.
>    There is one composable method approach as well. Keeping aside the security
>    concerns, which approach is better and functional?
>       1.
>       https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_openstack_platform/16.2/html/bare_metal_provisioning/prerequisites-for-bare-metal-provisioning

You're referencing RH docs, which makes me wonder if you're a RH customer
or if you're trying to use RH docs with upstream TripleO which may not
exactly be ideal. If you are a RH customer, it wouldn't be a bad idea to
reach out to RH support.  Anyway, starting out you likely want  to focus on
the basics and not use a composible network. Once you have that working it
would make sense to evolve towards a composed network. Trying to do it now
introduces more variables which will make it harder to configure it for
your environment.

>    1. Will moving to upper openstack release version make this deployment
>    possible?
>       1. If Yes, which release should I go with as till wallaby the
>       ironic-overcloud.yml file has no option of including "*DhcpAgentNotification:
>       true*" by default
>          1.
>          https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-heat-templates/blob/stable/wallaby/environments/services/ironic-overcloud.yaml

Possibly, I honestly don't know the entire change history and interaction
of the templates and overrides which exist with all the various options
you can choose with TripleO.