[os-brick][nova][cinder][glance] Question about lock_path

Gorka Eguileor geguileo at redhat.com
Thu Feb 3 10:12:21 UTC 2022

On 01/02, Balazs Gibizer wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 1 2022 at 11:07:07 AM -0600, Ben Nemec <openstack at nemebean.com>
> wrote:
> > General question: Are file locks even sufficient for this? If we're
> > talking about multiple services coordinating access to a resource, do we
> > know for certain that all of the processes accessing the resource are on
> > the same system? If not, file locks can't solve this anyway.

Hi,

File locks are sufficient and also necessary for some connector types.

I don't want to get too much into it, but these file locks are only
trying to create a critical section within a node, not deployment wide.

For example, we know that the Linux Open-iSCSI initiator has lots of
problems with concurrent access (due to the persistent configuration
database), so we only want to make sure that there are no 2 concurrent
calls to it.

> > If so, see my thoughts below.
> >
> > On 2/1/22 09:57, Balazs Gibizer wrote:

> > > An alternative to that would be that os-brick has specific lock path
> > > config option regardless of which service is importing the lib.
> > > Then the oslo_concurrency.lockutils.lock() can be called with that
> > > os-brick specific path from os-brick.
> >
> > The lock_path config opt is owned by oslo.concurrency so I don't think
> > this is possible today. The simplest and least error-prone solution is
> > to configure all of the users of os-brick to use the same lock path.
>
> The oslo_concurrency.lockutils.lock() call takes a lock_path kwargs that can
> be used to override the configured lock_path as far as I see[1][2][3].
>

> > Even if we provided a way to override the lock path for just os-brick,
> > you'd still need to add a config opt to each service that points at a
> > common location and the deployment tools would need to configure that
> > and create the shared directory. You don't save the deployment tools any
> > effort this way.

I agree, that's why I didn't add a new one when I developed that patch.

In retrospective I should have added to the commit message and release
notes the cases where admins/deployment tools need to use the same
lock_path.

> os_brick can expose a new config option with a sane default and document
> that if that default is changed then the config of every service using
> os_brick needs to be changed to have the same value.
>

> > Keeping a single lock path for everything running in a given service
> > also eliminates the possibility that a lock gets used both in and out of
> > os-brick, which would break if os-brick had a separate path. I don't
> > know if that happens, but a single lock path means you never have to
> > answer that question.
>
> Good point. That is a clear advantage of this proposal.
>

> > One drawback I can see to a single lock path for multiple services is
> > possible collisions of lock names. Previously each service could name
> > locks whatever they wanted as long as there were no duplicates within
> > the service. If they start sharing lock path, there can be no duplicates
> > between any of the services sharing the lock path. I can't say how much
> > of a problem this would be, but we could probably come up with some way
> > to look at the lock names used in a service and make sure there's no
> > overlap.
> >
> > Also, I _think_ even if there were a duplicate lock name in two
> > services, the worst that would happen is some unnecessary lock
> > contention.* You might introduce a performance problem, but not a race.
> > Personally, that's a tradeoff I'd happily make.
> >
> > *: If you had multiple duplicate locks being acquired in different
> > orders between the two services, it's possible you could introduce a
> > deadlock. A lot has to go wrong for that to happen, but in the interest
> > of completeness it should be considered. Have I mentioned that
> > concurrency is hard? ;-)

There shouldn't be any unintended lock name collision or lock
contention, because services use a service specific prefix for their
own locks. At least Cinder [1] and Nova [2] do.  OS-Brick doesn't use
those prefixed locks but bare locks so they are shared between services,
as intended.

Cheers,
Gorka.

[1]: https://github.com/openstack/cinder/blob/5cf395b38544b2e96bdf625b3aae66f0b2898814/cinder/utils.py#L72