Home openstack lab

Jonathan Rosser jonathan.rosser at rd.bbc.co.uk
Thu Feb 3 07:41:25 UTC 2022

Openstack-ansible supports a containerless installation. We test this in
CI equivalently to the LXC containers deployment - note that these are
machine containers - analogous to VMs, and not docker type containers.

I would personally choose Ubuntu 20.04 as the OS - mostly due to the
limited lifetime of python 3.6 which you might find elsewhere, plus the
availability of a full set of upstream ceph packages which may be harder
to find for some other distros.

OSA has managed to provide long and heavily overlapping lifecycles for
Ubuntu based deployments, see
https://docs.openstack.org/openstack-ansible/latest/en_GB/admin/upgrades/compatibility-matrix.html.
This is something you should consider when planning how you are going to
manage and upgrade your deployment. The more overlap you have the more
freedom you have to work around external factors such as your preferred
ceph versions.

The tools mentioned in this thread are not really "shrink-wrap"
installers for OpenStack, only you can architect your deployment to meet
your particular requirements for hardware, HA, storage and networking
setup. This architecture has to align with what is possible with the
deployment tools, and OpenStack in general. Check if the various tools
provide a reference architecture you can start from.

Take a look at the available documentation, and join the relevant IRC
channels. Operators using OSA who join #openstack-ansible and be an
active part of the community are the ones who gain the most value.

Just my opinion - others may vary :)

Jonathan.