[ansible][ACO] - Contribution questions

Jakob Meng jmeng at redhat.com
Sat Dec 31 17:34:02 UTC 2022

On 30.12.22 23:14, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2022-12-30 17:05:34 +0100 (+0100), Jakob Meng wrote:
>> PS: tox issues have been fixed in master branch of Ansible
>> OpenStack collection, please rebase your patches :)
> [...]
>
> Zuul always tests by merging proposed changes to the latest state of
> the targeted branch, so rebasing should only be necessary in order
> to address merge conflicts. If you want to get updated test results
> which take the tox fixes into account, leaving a review comment like
> "recheck now that tox configuration is fixed" (or anything starting
> with the word "recheck" really) should be sufficient.
Without a rebase, a new (additional) merge commit will be created. Merge
commits vs rebases is a controversial topic, both have their pros and
cons [1][2]. For Ansible OpenStack collection, I prefer to rebase each
patch, esp. before +w'ing it, to get a flat and readable history. This
helps me with keeping track of what has to be backported from master
branch to stable/1.0.0 branch. YMMV. 😉

[1]
https://www.atlassian.com/git/articles/git-team-workflows-merge-or-rebase
[2]