[openstack][cinder] Cinder volume id wont change when retype volume

Alan Bishop abishop at redhat.com
Mon Dec 26 23:04:28 UTC 2022

On Mon, Dec 26, 2022 at 7:00 AM Nguyễn Hữu Khôi <nguyenhuukhoinw at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello guys, I have a problem with cinder:
>
> I use cinder volume retype to move my volume to another backend. It worked
> but when I check on new backend, volume id doest match with id which on
> Horizon dash board.It expects to have same volume id on Horizon and new
> backend. I use DellSC and DellPowerstore.

I'm guessing you are migrating volumes from the DellSC to the
DellPowerstore, in which case the problem is that the DellPowerstore driver
doesn't implement the update_migrated_volume method. Here is an extract
from [1] on the purpose of that function:

"This method can be used in a generally wide range, but the most common use
case covered in this method is to rename the back-end name to the original
volume id in your driver to make sure that the back-end still keeps the
same id or name as it is before the volume migration"

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/cinder/latest/contributor/migration.html

You might file a bug against the Powerstore driver. This is something that
Dell EMC would need to investigate.

Alan