[ops] Migration from CentOS streams to Ubuntu and fast forward updates

Eugen Block eblock at nde.ag
Fri Dec 9 11:52:41 UTC 2022

Hi,

we're considering a similar scenario. I don't mean to hijack this
thread, but would it be possible to migrate to Ubuntu without
downtime? There are several options I can think of, one that worked
for us in the past: a reinstallation of the control nodes but keeping
the database (upgraded in a VM). But this means downtime until at
least one control node is up and if possible I would like to avoid
that, so I'm thinking of this:
- Adding compute nodes and install them with Ubuntu Victoria (our
current version).
- Move the workload away from the other compute nodes and reinstall
them one by one.

That should work for computes (with cold or live migration). But what
about the control nodes? We have them in HA setup, would it be
possible to
- Stop one control node, reinstall it with Ubuntu (Victoria), make
sure all UIDs/GIDs are the same as before (we use ceph as shared
storage) so the mounted CephFS still works between the nodes (same for
the nova live-migration).
- Repeat for other control nodes.

Would those mixed control nodes work together? I will try it anyway in
a test environment, but I wanted to ask if anybody has tried this
approach. I'd appreciate any insights.

Thanks,
Eugen