[ops] Migration from CentOS streams to Ubuntu and fast forward updates

Dmitriy Rabotyagov noonedeadpunk at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 09:34:24 UTC 2022

Hi Massimo,

Assuming you have manual installation (not using any deployment
projects), I have several comments on your plan.

1. I've missed when you're going to upgrade Nova/Neutron on computes.
As you should not create a gap in OpenStack versions between
controllers and computes since nova-scheduler has a requirement on RPC
version computes will be using. Or, you must define the rpc version
explicitly in config to have older computes (but it's not really a
suggested way).
2. Also once you do db sync, your second controller might misbehave
(as some fields could be renamed or new tables must be used), so you
will need to disable it from accepting requests until syncing
openstack version as well. If you're not going to upgrade it until
getting first one to Yoga - it should be disabled all the time until
you get Y services running on it.
3. It's totally fine to run multi-distro setup. For computes the only
thing that can go wrong is live migrations, and that depends on
libvirt/qemu versions. I'm not sure if CentOS 8 Stream have compatible
version with Ubuntu 22.04 for live migrations to work though, but if
you care about them (I guess you do if you want to migrate workloads
semalessly) - you'd better check. But my guess would be that CentOS 8
Stream should have compatible versions with Ubuntu 20.04 - still needs
deeper checking.