[ops] Migration from CentOS streams to Ubuntu and fast forward updates

Massimo Sgaravatto massimo.sgaravatto at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 16:02:55 UTC 2022

Dear all

We are now running an OpenStack deployment: Yoga on CentOS8Stream.

We are now thinking about a possible migration to Ubuntu for several
reasons in particular:

a- 5 years support for both the Operating System and OpenStack (considering
LTS releases)
b- Possibility do do a clean update between two Ubuntu LTS releases
c- Easier procedure (also because of b) for fast forward updates (this is
what we use to do)

Considering the latter item, my understanding is that an update from Ubuntu
20.04 Ussuri to Ubuntu 22.04 Yoga could be done in the following
way (we have two controller nodes and n compute nodes):

- Update of first controller node from Ubuntu 20.04 Ussuri to Ubuntu 20.04
Victoria (update OpenStack packages + dbsync)
- Update of first controller node from Ubuntu 20.04 Victoria to Ubuntu
20.04 Wallaby (update OpenStack packages + dbsync)
- Update of first controller node from Ubuntu 20.04 Wallaby to Ubuntu 20.04
Xena (update OpenStack packages + dbsync)
- Update of first controller node from Ubuntu 20.04 Xena to Ubuntu 20.04
Yoga (update OpenStack packages + dbsync)
- Update of first controller node from Ubuntu 20.04 Yoga to Ubuntu 22.04
Yoga (update Ubuntu  packages)
- Update of second controller node from Ubuntu 20.04 Ussuri to Ubuntu 22.04
Yoga (update OpenStack and Ubuntu packages)
- Update of the compute nodes from Ubuntu 20.04 Ussuri to Ubuntu 22.04 Yoga
(update OpenStack and Ubuntu packages)

We would do the same when migrating from Ubuntu 22.04 Yoga to Ubuntu 24.04
and the OpenStack xyz release (where xyz
is the LTS release used in Ubuntu 24.04)

Is this supposed to work or am I missing something ?

If we decide to migrate to Ubuntu, the first step would be the
reinstallation with Ubuntu 22.04/Yoga of each node
currently running CentOS8 stream/Yoga.
I suppose there are no problems having in the same OpenStack installation
nodes running the same
Openstack version but different operating systems, or am I wrong ?

Thanks, Massimo