[requirement][all] Nose being removed from Debian and Ubuntu: let's remove it from our global requirements

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Mon Aug 29 10:13:38 UTC 2022

On Mon, 2022-08-29 at 11:06 +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's no surprise for anyone that's been following it: Nose was
> deprecated years ago, and now, we're trying to remove it from Debian.
> Therefore, 49 bugs were filled against the Debian OpenStack package.
>
> It'd be nice if upstream OpenStack was also following this move, and
> removing nose from global-requirements. I'm not sure if it'd be a big
> deal if that wasn't the case, as I could use a different test runner in
> Debian, but I very much would prefer if it was the case.
nose was ment to be replaced in all project by stestr many years ago

a quick search shows that of the big project swift and trove are porbly the only ones that still install it
https://codesearch.opendev.org/?q=nose&i=nope&literal=nope&files=.*requirements.*&excludeFiles=&repos=
looking at swift i also see stestr but they are still using nosetest in there tox.ini
https://opendev.org/openstack/swift/src/branch/master/tox.ini#L20
that shoudl be trivial to swap over for any of the project but would obviouly have to be done and  possibly backported
depenidng on what openstack verions require it.

i also noticed that many of the charms reference it so it might be more impactful for the charm based installer.