[glance][cinder] Glance cinder backend or image cache ?

Simon Dodsley simon at purestorage.com
Tue Aug 23 15:27:44 UTC 2022

https://support.purestorage.com/Solutions/OpenStack/z_Legacy_OpenStack_Reference/OpenStack%C2%AE_Liberty%3A_A_Look_at_the_Glance_Image-Cache_for_Cinder

> But I wonder if using the cinder backend of glance is a better, simpler,
> transparent option ?

The Image Cache you referenced is not specific to Pure. It is a common
Cinder feature that many backend can leverage.

You can use both the image cache and cinder as a glance store as well but
they are redundant. It is best to pick one or the other.

It depends on the images format you are using. For example if you are using
QCOW2 as the format the glance cinder backend cannot optimize it, but the
image cache can optimize.

Simon