[swift] Terraform has deprecated the Swift backend

Andrew Ruthven andrew at etc.gen.nz
Sat Aug 20 04:27:34 UTC 2022

Hey,

Some of our customer are using the swift backend for terraform state
storage. By the look of things they're going to drop all of the
backends that are unmaintained.

We've had a look at the S3 remote, sadly it isn't suitable as it uses
DynamoDB for locking. We'd rather not tell customers they have to use
services from another cloud provider. :)

The locking in the Swift backend isn't that great either, as it appears
to store the lock state in Swift which with eventual consistency...

It seems that our current recommendation to customers will end up being
to use the PostgreSQL backend which they can use by deploying a Trove
instance.

Cheers,
Andrew