[kolla-ansible] upgrade process when it involves OS and ceph major version

Gregory Orange gregory.orange at pawsey.org.au
Fri Aug 19 14:25:18 UTC 2022

I should also add that my understanding from conversations in IRC is
that if operating system upgrade is needed, then you

1. upgrade Kolla-Ansible to the crossover version, then
2. rebuild that same control plane onto new machines with the newer
operating system (or perhaps pull them out, rebuild and put back in
again, depending on how many you have for redundancy)
3. upgrade Kolla-Ansible to a later version as needed

For us, I /believe/ Ussuri is the crossover version because it supports
both Ubuntu Bionic and Focal - we will need to check that before
embarking on the upgrade. Can anyone confirm, also whether I am barking
mad with the above understanding?