[all][tc] What's happening in Technical Committee: summary 2022 Aug 12: Reading: 5 min

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Sat Aug 13 00:11:48 UTC 2022

Hello Everyone,

Here is this week's summary of the Technical Committee activities.

1. TC Meetings:
============

* We had this week's meeting on Aug 11. Most of the meeting discussions are
summarized in this email. Meeting full logs are available
@https://meetings.opendev.org/meetings/tc/2022/tc.2022-08-11-15.00.log.html

* Next TC weekly meeting will be on Aug 18 Thursday at 15:00 UTC, feel free to
add the topic on the agenda[1] by Aug 17.

2. What we completed this week:
=========================
* None in this week.

3. Activities In progress:
==================
TC Tracker for Zed cycle
------------------------------
* Zed tracker etherpad includes the TC working items[3], Two are completed and
others items are in-progress.

Open Reviews
-----------------
* Two open reviews for ongoing activities[4].

OpenStack TC + Board member meeting
As you might know, OpenStack TC and Board member had a informal meeting
on Aug 10[5][6], I am summarizing the discussion here. The Openstack TC has
presented the 'OpenStack Updates' to Board meeting in berlin. One of the key
part of the updates were 'OpenStack community Challenges' and we could not
finish the discussion or brainstorm on these in berlin meeting. We decided to
continue the discussion on those (Slide#21)[7]. In this call, we can only cover the
first challenge only 'Less Interaction with Operators & Users'. There is no doubt that
we are facing this issue at noticeable level (RBAC is good example where we lacked
the operator/user feedback). A lot of things including ML, events are discussed on why
it is happening and how to improve it.

Having ops meetup as a separate event is something many members raised concern
about and it will be good to merge these events into other community events like
Summit, PTG etc. To try the first step towards that we can invite or welcome operators
in Oct virtual PTG and give them a feeling on merging the events with developers event
can be beneficial to both the group. On that, Dan suggested the idea of scheduling the
'Operatos Hours' per project in PTG and there we will keep the discussion on operator-centric
and the format they want. We continued the discussion on this in TC weekly meeting where
we had mixed suggestions on the 'Operator Hours' schedule, either to ask each project
to schedule it in their room and operator join or other way around. Before deciding any format,
we will be asking operators about their preference.

We will continue the discussion on 'OpenStack community Challenges' in the next call which
is schedule on 20:00 UTC on Wednesday, November 16[8]. If anyone is interested, feel free to
join it.

2023.1 cycle Technical Election (TC + PTL) planning
Not much update on this but we will be seeing the election schedule
proposed soon.

2023.1 cycle TC PTG planning
------------------------------------
We discussed about how to best encourage/invite operators into the PTG (I wrote in the above
section) and based on the operators feedback we will proceed next. We will continue the discussion
in the next meeting also.

2021 User Survey TC Question Analysis
No update on this. The survey summary is up for review[9]. Feel free to check and
provide feedback.

Zed cycle Leaderless projects
----------------------------------
Dale Smith volunteer to be PTL for Adjutant project [10]

Fixing Zuul config error
----------------------------
Requesting projects with zuul config error to look into those and fix them which should
not take much time[11]12].

Project updates
-------------------
* Retire openstack-helm-addons[13]

4. How to contact the TC:
====================
If you would like to discuss or give feedback to TC, you can reach out to us in multiple ways:

1. Email: you can send the email with tag [tc] on openstack-discuss ML[14].
2. Weekly meeting: The Technical Committee conduct a weekly meeting every Thursday 15 UTC [15]
3. Ping us using 'tc-members' nickname on #openstack-tc IRC channel.

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/TechnicalCommittee#Next_Meeting
[2] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/governance/+/849997
[3] https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/tc-zed-tracker
[4] https://review.opendev.org/q/projects:openstack/governance+status:open