[openstack] how to speed up live migration?

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Fri Aug 5 10:34:41 UTC 2022

one thing to be aware of is if the vm writes even a singel byte to a
memory page during the migration then entire page needs to be
transferred again.
not just that one byte which gets expensive if you use hugepages as a
one byte write gets amplified to at 2mb or 1GB page copy.

even for the default 4k pages its expensive. post-copy adn auto
converge help with that to a degree but yes
it sounds like this might be memory related but it could still be a
network bandwidth limitation.

using jumbo frames on the migration network may help as well as
disabling tcp slow start.

im not sure if there is really anything that can be done to increase
the initial migration time beyond that.