[openstack] how to speed up live migration?

Gorka Eguileor geguileo at redhat.com
Fri Aug 5 08:49:54 UTC 2022

On 05/08, Ignazio Cassano wrote:
> Hello, firstly let me to thank you for reply and sorry if I come back to
> ask why when I do the first migration from A to B it takes 20 minutes and
> then, when I migrate from B to A it takes few seconds.
> I wonder if after the first migration memory is reorganized.
> In the first live migration it lost time to get memory pages ?
> Ignazio

Hi,

I work on Cinder, so my knowledge on live migrations is mostly limited
to the attach/detach flow of the volumes.

I thought that maybe if you were using ephemeral nova volumes
(non-cinder) maybe the volume had not yet been deleted from the old
node, or maybe it was using a qcow2 base file for multiple instances on
the source (each using a different chain on top of it) and this qcow2
was not originally present in the destination (hence the time to copy
it), so when we do a migration back since there are other instances that
were also using it on the destination (original location) only de
difference needs to be copied.

But these are just brainstorming ideas, since I don't really know how
Nova handles all this.

I would recommend setting Nova log to debug mode in both source and
destination nodes and look at where the time difference really is, in
case it's not where you think it is.

Cheers,
Gorka.