[DIB][diskimage-builder] Rocky Linux image build method

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Tue Aug 2 02:17:58 UTC 2022

On Mon, Aug 01, 2022 at 10:21:18AM +0200, Pierre Riteau wrote:
> It seems to also occasionally cause complex failures such as the one that
> rendered Rocky Linux 8 images unbootable last week [3]. I am guessing this
> wouldn't have happened had the build been from a cloud image.
> [3] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/diskimage-builder/+/851687

Others have responded and I don't really have anything to add; I would
just say that the reason we moved from the cloud images many years ago
was because various things just like [3] kept happening.

We used to "simply" boot generic upstream images on clouds and run an
array of scripts to pre-configure them, take a snapshot image and then
boot off that for the day.  It was constantly breaking :)

The centos element has had it's fair share of "interesting" issues
with disk-layouts, etc.

> Would the DIB community be open to also have a rocky element using
> GenericCloud images, like centos?

In terms of having your dependencies available in final images,
nothing really beats specifying them explicitly.  Something like [1].
I think I'd encourage this rather than trying to add another platform
to support in dib.

-i

[1] https://opendev.org/openstack/project-config/src/branch/master/nodepool/elements/infra-package-needs