Openstack hypervisor list is empty

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Thu Sep 23 13:20:26 UTC 2021

On Thu, 2021-09-23 at 08:59 -0400, Laurent Dumont wrote:
> I would investigate that compute error first. Creating volumes means the
> controllers are doing the action. Starting a VM on a compute means you also
> need Ceph to works on the compute to mount the rdb target.

nova as part of its startup process in aintiallying the resouce tracker will
try to connect to ceph if you are using the rbd image backend to report how much stroage
is avaiable. if the keyring does  not work on the vms pool as the user nova is connecting as
then that will block the agent from starting up fully and will cause it to be missing the hypervior list.

the error seams to indicate that the cinder keyring is not in the nova container
that likely means you have not put it in /etc/kolla/config/nova
i woudl check /etc/kolla/config/nova on the deployment host and sudo ls /etc/kolla/nova-compute/
on the compute node to ensure the cinder keyring is actully copied and has the correct content

i have
stack at cloud:/opt/repos/devstack$ sudo ls /etc/kolla/nova-compute/
ceph.client.cinder.keyring  ceph.client.nova.keyring  ceph.conf  config.json  nova.conf

[client.cinder]
	key = *********************************
	caps mgr = "profile rbd pool=volumes, profile rbd pool=vms"
	caps mon = "profile rbd"
	caps osd = "profile rbd pool=volumes, profile rbd pool=vms, profile rbd pool=images"
stack at cloud:/opt/repos/devstack$ sudo cat /etc/kolla/nova-compute/ceph.client.nova.keyring
[client.nova]
	key = *********************************
	caps mgr = "profile rbd pool=volumes, profile rbd pool=vms"
	caps mon = "profile rbd"
	caps osd = "profile rbd pool=volumes, profile rbd pool=vms, profile rbd pool=images"

blanked out the key wiht *************** after the fact but you should have something similar

in my case i decied to use a seperate key for nova rbd backend because i was also using EC poosl with a seperate data and metadata pool
so i neede to modify my ceph.conf to make that work with kolla

stack at cloud:/opt/repos/devstack$ sudo cat /etc/kolla/nova-compute/ceph.conf
# minimal ceph.conf for 15b00858-ba8c-11eb-811f-f9257f38002f
[global]

[client.glance]
rbd default data pool = images-data

[client.cinder]
rbd default data pool = volumes-data

[client.nova]
rbd default data pool = vms-data

using 2 keyrings/user allows me to set different default data pools for cinder and nova.