[neutron] upgrading port binding:profile.allocation value for port-resource-request-groups API extension

Balazs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at est.tech
Fri Sep 10 16:00:27 UTC 2021

Hi Neutrinos!

We found a technical challenge during implementing the
port-resource-request-groups API extension[1]. That extension changes
the format of the port.resoruce_request as well as the format of the
port.binding:profile.allocation. The former is a calculated field on
the port so that is easy. However the bindig:profile is persisted in
the database so data migration is needed. What is the canonical way to
do such DB data translation in Neutron? Can we translate the data in
place during alembic migration? Or should we do some kind of online
data migration when the data is translated by neutron when it is read
from the db?

cheers,
gibi

[1] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/neutron/+/805637/5