[ops][cinder] is anyone using RateLimitingMiddleware ?

Brian Rosmaita rosmaita.fossdev at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 16:00:17 UTC 2021

Hello operators,

Takashi Kajinami noticed that cinder's RateLimitingMiddleware class
lives among the legacy v2 classes and should be moved to live with the
v3 classes, but then it occurred to him that maybe it should simply be
deprecated and removed [0].

There are a few reasons to believe that nobody is actually using this
functionality, for example, it's not included in the default
api-paste.ini file, this middleware no longer exists in Nova, it gives
you inexact behavior with multiple API nodes, etc.

We discussed this topic at today's cinder meeting and decided to ask
whether anyone is using the RateLimitingMiddleware with cinder before
deprecating it for removal.

If it's going to be deprecated, we'd like to do it in Xena, so please
preferably both) before 23:59 UTC on Tuesday 14 September 2021.

Thank you!

[0] https://bugs.launchpad.net/cinder/+bug/1942696
[1] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cinder/+/807469