[all][tc] Minium python version for yoga and centos 9 stream.

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Tue Sep 7 16:44:02 UTC 2021

 ---- On Tue, 07 Sep 2021 11:03:09 -0500 Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote ----
 > On 2021-09-07 10:38:12 -0500 (-0500), Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
 > [...]
 > > Definitely we can move to 3.9 as official testing runtime if any
 > > of the currently supporting distro support it as default.
 > [...]
 >
 > I don't think it needs to be the default Python in a release so long
 > as it's available. To quote from
 > https://governance.openstack.org/tc/resolutions/20181024-python-update-process.html#unit-tests
 >
 >     "Prior to the beginning of each release cycle, the TC will
 >     designate the minor versions of Python 3 that will be tested in
 >     that release using the following criteria:
 >     [...]
 >     The latest released version of Python 3 that is available in any
 >     distribution we can feasibly use for testing. It need not be a
 >     long-term-supported release, but could be a non-LTS version of
 >     Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE Leap, or even a rolling release
 >     distribution (such as Debian Testing or openSUSE Tumbleweed) if
 >     necessary."
 >
 > I recall clearly that this was added so that we would attempt to
 > test the latest available version of Python in order to help avoid
 > having software which is clearly non-functional on distributions
 > which are working in parallel to update their defaults (and so might
 > reasonably want to ship OpenStack with an interpreter version which
 > was not their default at the time we started development for that
 > coordinated release).

Sure, and by seeing the current py39 job it is mostly passing
- https://zuul.openstack.org/builds?job_name=openstack-tox-py39

Let's discuss it in PTG and hopefully by then we might see centos9
release or closure plan to release dates and as discussed during
defining the Yoga tetsing runtime, we can update it once if
centos9 is there then update centos versionb as well as the py version
otherwise we can disucss only making py39 jobs voting which are running
on ubuntu focal.

-gmann