[release] Release countdown for week R-4, Sep 06 - Sep 10

Herve Beraud hberaud at redhat.com
Fri Sep 3 14:37:36 UTC 2021

Development Focus
exceptions approved by the team's PTL.

Focus should be on finding and fixing release-critical bugs, so that
release candidates and final versions of the Xena deliverables can be
proposed, well ahead of the final Xena release date (06 October, 2021).

General Information

        [$PROJECT][requirements] RFE requested for $PROJECT_LIB

Include justification/reasoning for why a RFE is needed for this lib.
If/when the requirements team OKs the post-freeze update, we can then
process a new release.

A soft String freeze is now in effect, in order to let the I18N team do the
translation work in good conditions. In Horizon and the various dashboard
plugins, you should stop accepting changes that modify user-visible
strings. Exceptions should be discussed on the mailing-list. By
30 September this will become a hard string freeze, with no changes
in user-visible strings allowed.

Actions
-------

stable/xena branches should be created soon for all not-already-branched
libraries. You should expect 2-3 changes to be proposed for each: a
.gitreview update, a reno update (skipped for projects not using reno),
and a tox.ini constraints URL update. Please review those in priority
so that the branch can be functional ASAP.

The Prelude section of reno release notes is rendered as the top level
overview for the release. Any important overall messaging for Xena
changes should be added there to make sure the consumers of your release
notes see them.

Finally, if you haven't proposed Xena cycle-highlights yet, you are
already late to the party. Please see
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2021-August/024105.html
for details.

Upcoming Deadlines & Dates

RC1 deadline: 16 September (R-3 week)
Final RC deadline: 30 September (R-1 week)
Final Xena release: 6 October

Thanks for your attention
--
Hervé Beraud