[kolla-ansible] [kuryr] Running Docker Swarm with Kuryr networking

Paolo Celati paolo at celati.com
Thu Sep 2 12:20:26 UTC 2021

On 01/09/2021 19:28, Radosław Piliszek wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 6:08 PM Paolo Celati <paolo at celati.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Michal,
>>
>>    Yes I would rather run all my Docker containers on the physical hosts.  At the moment I run Ceph and kolla images, but adding Swarm as well would be useful.
>>
>> I've had a fair number of problems with Magnum because it appears only Kubernetes is supported nowadays, and I have 0 experience with that.  I also prefer Swarm because it's a lot simpler for small scale.
>>
>> Administering my own VMs with Docker Swarm on top is also not exactly the best solution because that introduces extra machines to maintain.  And I don't have lots of spare RAM either as it's a homelab.
>>
>> Thanks for reminding me about tagging correctly, I forgot to put [kuryr].  Ok didn't know about the lack of CI but good to know.
>
> We actually *do* test Kuryr in CI - in the Zun scenario - and it
> works, at least on CentOS, it fails on Ubuntu for some reason but we
> don't have anyone to take care of that...
> Zun works using the on-host Docker as you want to do.
> *But* as Michał Dulko (hah, had to add the surname to differentiate
> ;-) ) said non-Kubernetes Kuryr is largely unmaintained and, actually,
> a similar statement applies to Zun...
> Your mileage may vary but going forward I advise you take the time to
> learn Kubernetes.
> As for mixing up Docker Swarm with Kolla Ansible, that's not really
> supported either. Kolla Ansible is designed to deploy to a bunch of
> standalone Docker daemons using only host networking.
> It could work but it's not tested.
>
> -yoctozepto

Hi Radoslaw,
    Ok thanks I'll look into Kubernetes then, it looks like everything
is going in that direction anyways so might as well.  Well what I was
intending to do with Docker Swarm is really just share the hosts running
Kolla containers and Swarm containers.  It makes for a lot less
management work to have fewer Docker daemons.  My idea was to have Kolla
containers use host networking and Swarm uses overlay (vxlan) networks
via Kuryr.  But I'll probably try getting Magnum + Kubernetes up instead
since that seems the best supported scenario.

Paolo