[all][tc] Skyline as a new official project [was: What's happening in Technical Committee: summary 15th Oct, 21: Reading: 5 min]

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Fri Oct 15 17:23:08 UTC 2021

On 10/15/21 6:07 PM, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
> New project 'Skyline' proposal
> ------------------------------------
> * You might be aware of this new dashboard proposal in the previous month's
> discussion.
> * A new project 'Skyline: an OpenStack dashboard optimized by UI and UE' is
> now proposed in governance to be an official OpenStack project[4].
> * Skyline team is planning to meet in PTG on Tue, Wed and Thu at 5UTC, please
> ask your queries or have feedback/discussion with the team next week.

Skyline looks nice. However, looking nice isn't enough. Before it
becomes an OpenStack official component, maybe it should first try to
reach our standard. I'm namely thinking about having a proper setuptool
integration (using PBR?) for example, and starting tagging releases.

I'm very much interested in packaging this for Debian/Ubuntu, if it's
not a JS dependency hell. Though the current Makefile thingy doesn't
look appealing.

I've seen the console has at least 40 JS direct dependency. How many
indirect dependency is this? Has anyone looked into it?

Is the team ready to help making it package-able in a distro policy
compliant way?

Your thoughts?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)