[ops] How to use hosts with no storage disks

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Oct 15 12:52:27 UTC 2021

On 2021-10-15 11:51:49 +0100 (+0100), A Monster wrote:
> In Openstack, is it possible to create compute nodes with no hard
> drives and use PXE in order to boot the host's system
[...]

This question is outside the scope of OpenStack itself, unless
you're using another OpenStack deployment to manage the physical
servers (for example TripleO has an "undercloud" which uses Ironic
to manage the servers which then comprise the "overcloud" presented
to users). OpenStack's services start on already booted servers, so
you can in theory use any mechanism you like, including PXEboot, to
boot those physical servers. I understand OpenStack Ironic is a
great solution to this problem though, and can be set up entirely
stand-alone with its Bifrost installer.
--
Jeremy Stanley