[neutron] East-West networking issue on DVR after failed attempt at starting a new instance

J-P Methot jp.methot at planethoster.info
Thu Oct 7 21:37:37 UTC 2021

Hi,

We use Openstack Wallaby installed through Kolla-ansible on this setup.
Here's a quick rundown of the issue we just noticed:

-We try popping an instance which fails because of a storage issue.

-Nova tries to create the instance on 3 different nodes before failing.

-We notice that instances on these 3 nodes and only those instances
cannot connect to each other anymore.

-Doing Tcpdump tests, we realize that pings are received by each
instance, but never replied to.

-Restarting the neutron-openvswitch-agent container fixes this issue.

I suspect l2population might have something to do with this. Is the ARP
table rebuilt when the openvswitch-agent is restarted?

--
Jean-Philippe Méthot
Senior Openstack system administrator