python_requires >= 3.8 during Yoga

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Mon Nov 29 11:46:52 UTC 2021

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 12:38 PM Sean Mooney <smooney at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2021-11-26 at 19:48 +0100, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 6:14 PM Alfredo Moralejo Alonso <
> amoralej at redhat.com>
> > wrote:

> gmann at ghanshyammann.com>

> fungi at yuggoth.org>
> for

> team
> updated the

> https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/governance/+/815851/3..6/reference/runtimes/yoga.rst

> and
> > > >

> > > So, CentOS Stream 9 was released, in the official mirrors and usable
> since
> > > some weeks ago[1][2]. We shouldn't consider it beta or something like
> that.
> > >
> > > As mentioned, support for diskimage-builder has been introduced for CS9
> > > and there are nodepool nodes ready for it. From RDO, we are providing
> RPMs
> > > for master branch content on CentOS Stream 9 [3] and actually we have
> been
> > > doing some tests. Actually, we have recently merged new jobs in
> > > puppet-openstack[4].
> > >

> > "It's usable since some weeks ago and we even added tests today" is not
> > exactly reassuring :) The PTI uses wording "stable and LTS", which
> applies
> > to Stream 9 no more than it applies to Fedora.
> thats not quite true.
> yes centos 9 is a roling release but it is more stable then fedroa since
> packages landing in centos 9 stream have been
> stablised via fedroa already and any argurments in this regard would also
> apply to centos 8 stream.

Stream 8 is part of an already released and maintained RHEL, hence I give
it a certain benefit of doubt. More on this below.

> The only reason that centos 8 stream would be more stable then 9 stream is
> due to less frequent updates as focus moves to 9 stream.
> 9 stream is effectivly a preview of what whill be rhel 9.
> >
> > In the end, what we test with Bifrost is what we will recommend people to
> > deploy it in production on. I do believe people can and should deploy on
> > Stream 8 despite all the FUD around it, but I cannot do it for Stream 9
> > until RHEL 9 is out.
>
> why just because rhel 9.0 is relased does not mean centos 9 is sudennly
> more stable.

Okay, you convinced me, I won't recommend Stream 9 at all :)

Kidding aside, we know that each major branch of RHEL offers a certain
degree of compatibility. It's not expected that 8.N+1 breaks a lot of stuff
from 8.N, hence it's not expected that Stream between them will break
anything (modulo bugs) either. I have no idea what and how gets into Stream
9 now, nor will I risk recommending it for production.

Dmitry