python_requires >= 3.8 during Yoga

Michał Nasiadka mnasiadka at
Mon Nov 29 10:14:56 UTC 2021


I’m strongly against dropping py36 support now, unless we’re going to find a solution that works on CentOS Stream 8.
RHEL 9 is not out, and probably will not be in months - how do we expect users to use Yoga on production deployments (where they use CentOS Linux/equivalents today)?

Dropping the runtime testing and supporting devstack - and negotiating on a per project basis to support py36 or not - is not a solution.
Either Yoga supports py36 as a transition point/release to py38 - or not.

In Kolla - we also did not anticipate (and don’t think it’s a good idea) to support CentOS Stream 9 in Yoga release.
With the current decision - we are either forced with supporting CentOS Stream 9 (with no alternatives like Rocky Linux/Alma Linux in place - because RHEL 9 is not out) - or dropping CentOS support completely.

If we pursue CS9 - we also need to support migration from CS8 to CS9 and that’s also a considerable amount of work - which is unplanned.

Best regards,

> On 29 Nov 2021, at 10:17, Lee Yarwood <lyarwood at> wrote:
> On 26-11-21 11:24:59, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
>> ---- On Fri, 26 Nov 2021 10:18:16 -0600 Ghanshyam Mann <gmann at> wrote ----
>>> ---- On Fri, 26 Nov 2021 10:05:15 -0600 Lee Yarwood <lyarwood at> wrote ----
>>>> On 26-11-21 09:37:44, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
>>>>> ---- On Fri, 26 Nov 2021 06:29:42 -0600 Lee Yarwood <lyarwood at> wrote ----
>>>>>> On 26-11-21 10:54:26, Alfredo Moralejo Alonso wrote:
>>>>>>> On Thu, Nov 25, 2021 at 10:23 PM Ghanshyam Mann <gmann at>
>>>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>>>> ---- On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 13:58:28 -0600 Marcin Juszkiewicz <
>>>>>>>> marcin.juszkiewicz at> wrote ----
>>>>>>>>> W dniu 25.11.2021 o 19:13, Stephen Finucane pisze:
>>>>>>>>>> gmann has been helpfully proposing patches to change the
>>>>>>>>>> versions of Python we're testing against in Yoga. I've
>>>>>>>>>> suggested that we might want to bump 'python_requires' in
>>>>>>>>>> 'setup.cfg' to indicate that we no longer support any version
>>>>>>>>>> of Python before 3.8
>>>>>>>>> CentOS Stream 8 has Python 3.6 by default and RDO team is doing
>>>>>>>>> CS8 -> CS9 migration during Yoga cycle. Can we postpone it to Z
>>>>>>>>> when there will be no distribution with Py 3.6 to care about?
>>>>>> Stupid question that I should know the answer to but does RDO really
>>>>>> support RPM based installations anymore? IOW couldn't we just workaround
>>>>>> this by providing CS8 py38 based containers during the upgrade?
>>>>>>> As Marcin posted, the plan in RDO is to support both CentOS Stream 8 and
>>>>>>> CentOS Stream 9 in Yoga. This is how we have managed previous major CentOS
>>>>>>> version upgrades in the past providing support for both releases in an
>>>>>>> OpenStack version to ease the upgrade so I'd like to keep yoga working on
>>>>>>> py3.6 included in CS8 and CS9.
>>>>>> If this was the plan why wasn't it made clear to the TC before they
>>>>>> dropped CS8 from the Yoga runtimes? Would it even be possible for the TC
>>>>>> to add CS8 and py36 back in to the Yoga runtimes?
>>>>>>>> Postponing to Z, you mean dropping the py3.6 tests or bumping it in
>>>>>>>> in 'setup.cfg' so that no one can install on py3.6 ?
>>>>>>>> First one we already did and as per Yoga testing runtime we are
>>>>>>>> targeting centos9-stream[1] in Yoga itself.
>>>>>>>> For making 'python_requires' >=py3.8 in 'setup.cfg', I have no
>>>>>>>> string opinion on this but I prefer to have flexible here that 'yes
>>>>>>>> OpenStack is installable in py3.6 but we do not test it anymore from
>>>>>>>> Yoga onwards so no guarantee'.  Our testing runtime main goal is
>>>>>>>> that we document the version we are testing *at least* which means
>>>>>>>> it can work on lower or higher versions too but we just do not test
>>>>>>>> them.
>>>>>>> May it be possible to keep py3.6 jobs to make sure patches are not
>>>>>>> introducing py3.8-only features that would break deployment in CS8?
>>>>>> We should keep CS8 and py36 as supported runtimes if we are keeping the
>>>>>> jobs, otherwise this just sets super confusing.
>>>>> Yeah, I think it create confusion as I can see in this ML thread so
>>>>> agree on keeping  'python_requires'  also in sycn with what we test.
>>>> Cool thanks!
>>>>> Now question on going back to centos stream 8 support in Yoga, is it
>>>>> not centos stream 9 is stable released or is it experimental only? If
>>>>> stable then we can keep the latest available version which can be
>>>>> centos stream 9.
>>>> I honestly don't know and can't find any docs to point to.
>>>>> Our project interface testing doc clearly stats 'latest LTS' to
>>>>> consider for testing[1] whenever we are ready. I am not very strongly
>>>>> against of reverting back to centos stream 8 but we should not add two
>>>>> version of same distro in testing which can be a lot of we consider
>>>>> below three distro
>>>> How do we expect operators to upgrade between Xena where CentOS 8 stream
>>>> is a supported runtime and Yoga where CentOS 9 stream is currently the
>>>> equivalent supported runtime without supporting both for a single
>>>> release?
>>> This is really good question on upgrade testing we do at upstream and I remember
>>> it cameup and discussed a lot during py2.7 drop also that how we are testing the
>>> upgrade from py2.7 to py3. Can we do in grenade? But that we answered as we did
>>> not tested directly but stein and train tested both version so should not be any issue
>>> if you upgrade from there (one of FAQ in my blog[1]).
>>> But on distro upgrade testing, as you know we do not test those in upstream neither
>>> in grenade where upgrade are done on old node distro only not from old distro version to
>>> new distro version with new code.  It is not like we do not want to test but if anyone
>>> from any distro would like to setup grenade for that and maintain then we are more happy.
>>> In summary, yes we cannot guarantee distro upgrade testing from OpenStack upstream testing
>>> due to resource bandwidth issue but we will welcome any help here.
>> We discussed with amoralej about moving the testing runtime to CentOS
>> stream 8 and py36 or not in TC IRC channel[1].
>> As we at upstream do not test distro two versions in same release,
>> amoralej agreed to keep CentOS stream 9 if one to choose which is our
>> current testing runtime is. So no change in the direction of current
>> testing runtime and dropping the py3.6 but there is possibility of
>> some trade off here. If any py3.6 breaking changes are happening then
>> it is up to projects goodness, bandwidth, or flexibility about
>> accepting the fix or not or even add a py36 unit test job. As our
>> testing runtime is the minimum things to test and it does not put any
>> max limit of testing, any project can extend their testing as per
>> their bandwidth.  
>> In summary:
>> (This is what we agreed today in TC channel but as most of the folks
>> are on leave today, I will keep it open until next week so see if any
>> objections from the community and will conclude it accordingly)
>> * No change in Yoga testing runtime and we move to cs9 and drop py36.
>> * We will not put hard stop on cs8 support and we can:
>> ** Devstack keep supporting cs8 in Yoga
>> ** It can be negotiated with project to add py36 job or fix if any
>>   py36 breaking changes are observed by RDO (or any distro interested in
>>   py36) but it depends on the project decision and bandwidth.  
>> As next, how we can improve the upgrade testing from distro versions
>> is something we will explore next and see what all we can test to make
>> upgrade easier.
> I'm against this, as I said in my setup.cfg >= py38 review for
> openstack/nova [1] we either list and support runtimes or don't. If RDO
> and others need CentOS 8 Stream support for a release then lets include
> it and py36 still for Yoga and make things explicit.
> As I've said elsewhere I think the TC really need to adjust their
> thinking on this topic and allow for one OpenStack release where both
> the old and new LTS distro release are supported. Ensuring we allow
> people to actually upgrade in place and later handle the distro upgrade
> itself.
> Cheers,
> Lee
> [1] <>
> -- 
> Lee Yarwood                 A5D1 9385 88CB 7E5F BE64  6618 BCA6 6E33 F672 2D76

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <>

More information about the openstack-discuss mailing list