python_requires >= 3.8 during Yoga

Lee Yarwood lyarwood at redhat.com
Mon Nov 29 09:10:21 UTC 2021

On 26-11-21 17:04:07, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2021-11-26 17:45:30 +0100 (+0100), Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 5:26 PM Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
> [...]
> > > Somehow we manage to get by with testing only one Ubuntu version
> > > per OpenStack release.
> >
> > I'm quite sure there is always an overlap, otherwise grenade would
> > not work.
>
> Good point, I hadn't considered grenade. While we don't expressly
> mention the platform used for upgrade tests as part of the PTI, you
> are correct that we deploy release N-1 on the default node type for
> release N-1, then upgrade it in-place to release N and run a battery
> of tests against it. Technically we do test the new release on the
> old platform (at least for projects which tests their changes or are
> otherwise exercised by grenade), even though the PTI says we can
> drop support for the Python version on that platform.

This is the reason I think we need an overlap release for distro LTS
versions before we drop anything. Totally agree that we don't support
the underlying distro upgrade but we clearly do support in place
OpenStack upgrades and need the latest code to run on the older release.

> If someone wants to work on running grenade on centos-8-stream nodes
> for yoga, we could ensure that's still a viable upgrade path the
> same way.

Yup happy to look into this today.

--
Lee Yarwood                 A5D1 9385 88CB 7E5F BE64  6618 BCA6 6E33 F672 2D76