python_requires >= 3.8 during Yoga

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Fri Nov 26 18:48:27 UTC 2021

On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 6:14 PM Alfredo Moralejo Alonso <amoralej at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 4:44 PM Dmitry Tantsur <dtantsur at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 4:35 PM Ghanshyam Mann <gmann at ghanshyammann.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>  ---- On Fri, 26 Nov 2021 09:20:39 -0600 Dmitry Tantsur <
>>> dtantsur at redhat.com> wrote ----
>>>  >
>>>  > On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 3:35 PM Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org>
>>> wrote:
>>>  > On 2021-11-26 14:29:53 +0100 (+0100), Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
>>>  > [...]
>>>  > > CentOS/RHEL ships 3.6 and a limited version of 3.8 and 3.9.
>>>  > [...]
>>>  >
>>>  > Is this still true for CentOS Stream 9? The TC decision was to
>>>  > support that instead of CentOS Stream 8 in Yoga.
>>>  >
>>>  > No. But Stream 9 is pretty much beta, so it's not a replacement for
>>> us (and we don't have nodes in nodepool with it even yet?).
>>>
>>> I think here is the confusion. In TC, after checking with centos team
>>> impression was CentOS stream 9 is released and that is
>>> what we should update In OpenStack testing. And then only we updated the
>>> centos stream 8 -> 9 and dropped py3.6 testing
>>>
>>> -
>>> https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/governance/+/815851/3..6/reference/runtimes/yoga.rst
>>>

>> I think there is an enormous perception gap between the CentOS team and
>> the rest of the world.
>>

> So, CentOS Stream 9 was released, in the official mirrors and usable since
> some weeks ago[1][2]. We shouldn't consider it beta or something like that.
>
> As mentioned, support for diskimage-builder has been introduced for CS9
> and there are nodepool nodes ready for it. From RDO, we are providing RPMs
> for master branch content on CentOS Stream 9 [3] and actually we have been
> doing some tests. Actually, we have recently merged new jobs in
> puppet-openstack[4].

"It's usable since some weeks ago and we even added tests today" is not
exactly reassuring :) The PTI uses wording "stable and LTS", which applies
to Stream 9 no more than it applies to Fedora.

In the end, what we test with Bifrost is what we will recommend people to
deploy it in production on. I do believe people can and should deploy on
Stream 8 despite all the FUD around it, but I cannot do it for Stream 9
until RHEL 9 is out.

Dmitry