[kolla] Plan to deprecate binary and unify on single distrubition
mnasiadka at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 12:33:25 UTC 2021
On the PTG we have discussed two topics:
1) Deprecate and drop binary type of Kolla images
2) Use a common base (single Linux distribution) for Kolla images
This is a call for feedback - for people that have not been attending the PTG.
What this essentially mean for consumers:
1) In Yoga cycle we will deprecate binary type of Kolla images, and in Z cycle those will be dropped.
2) We are not going to support CentOS Stream 9 (cs9) as a base operating system, and the source type build will rely on CentOS Stream 8 in Z release.
3) Beginning from A release Kolla will build only Debian source images - but Kolla-Ansible will still support deployment of those images on CentOS/Ubuntu/Debian Host operating systems (and Rocky Linux to be added in Yoga to that mix).
The Kolla project team is limited in numbers, therefore supporting current broad mix of operating systems (especially with CentOS Stream 9 ,,on the way’’) is a significant maintenance burden.
By dropping binary type of images - users would be running more tested images (since Kolla/Kolla-Ansible CI runs source images jobs as voting).
In Xena we’ve already changed the default image type Kolla-Ansible uses to source.
We also feel that using a unified base OS for Kolla container images is a way to remove some of the maintenance burden (including CI cycles and
Request for feedback:
If any of those changes is a no go from your perspective - we’d like to hear your opinions.
More information about the openstack-discuss