[nova][all] Adding /healthcheck support in Nova, and better healthcheck in every projects

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Thu Nov 18 00:42:35 UTC 2021

 ---- On Wed, 17 Nov 2021 15:54:49 -0600 Dan Smith <dms at danplanet.com> wrote ----
 > > I don't think we rely on /healthcheck -- there's nothing healthy about
 > > an API endpoint blindly returning a 200 OK.
 > >
 > > You might as well just hit / and accept 300 as a code and that's
 > > exactly the same behaviour.  I support what Sean is bringing up here
 > > and I don't think it makes sense to have a noop /healthcheck that
 > > always gives a 200 OK...seems a bit useless imho
 >
 > Yup, totally agree. Our previous concerns over a healthcheck that
 > checked all of nova returning too much info to be useful (for something
 > trying to figure out if an individual worker is healthy) apply in
 > reverse to one that returns too little to be useful.

True, we can see the example in this old patch PS1 trying to implement all the
Nova_DB_healthcheck, Nova_MQ_healthcheck, Nova_services_healthcheck
and end up a lot of info and time-consuming process
- https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova/+/731396/1

and then on RPC call success in PS2
- https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova/+/731396/2

I agree on the point that heathchecks should be 'very Confirmed things
saying it is healthy' otherwise, it just solves the HA proxy use case and rests
all use cases will consider this as bad healthcheck which is the current case of
solo middleware.

-gmann