[all][tc] Relmgt team position on release cadence

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Nov 8 17:40:42 UTC 2021

Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
> [...]
> Thanks Thierry for the detailed write up.
>
> At the same time, a shorter release which leads to upgrade-often pressure but
> it will have fewer number of changes/features, so make the upgrade easy and
> longer-release model will have more changes/features that will make upgrade more
> complex.

I think that was true a few years ago, but I'm not convinced that still
holds. We currently have a third of the changes volume we had back in
2015, so a one-year release in 2022 would contain far less changes than
a 6-month release from 2015.

Also, thanks to our testing and our focus on stability, the pain linked
to the amount of breaking changes in a release is now negligible
compared to the basic pain of going through a 1M-core deployment and
upgrading the various pieces... every 6 months. I've heard of multiple
users claiming it takes them close to 6 months to upgrade their massive
deployments to a new version. So when they are done, they have to start
again.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)