[TripleO] Branching our documentation

James Slagle james.slagle at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 17:02:29 UTC 2021

Hello TripleO Owls,

Our documentation, particularly the deploy guide, has become overly complex
with all the branches that TripleO has supported over the years. I see
notes that document functionality specific to releases all the way back to
Mitaka!

In ancient history, we made the decision to not branch our documentation
because the work to maintain multiple branches outweighed the effort to
just document all releases at once in the same branch.

I think the scale has now tipped in the other direction. I propose that we
create a stable/wallaby in tripleo-docs, and begin making the master branch
specific to Yoga. This would also mean we could clean up all the old notes
and admonitions about previous releases on the master branch.

Going forward, if you make a change to the docs that applies to Yoga and
Wallaby, you would need to backport that change to stable/wallaby.

If you needed to make a change that applied only to Wallaby (or a prior
release), you would make that change only on stable/wallaby.

I'm not sure of all the plumbing required to make it so that the OpenStack
Wallaby deploy guide builds from stable/wallaby, etc, but I wanted to get
the idea out there first for feedback. Please let me know your thoughts.
Thank you!

--
-- James Slagle