Freenode and libera.chat

Erno Kuvaja ekuvaja at redhat.com
Fri May 21 11:43:31 UTC 2021

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 12:35 PM Dmitry Tantsur <dtantsur at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 10:11 PM Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
>
>> On 2021-05-20 21:58:52 +0200 (+0200), Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
>> > On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 9:41 PM Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org>
>> wrote:
>> [...]
>> >
>> > Not quite. It would probably solve the issues *for me*, but I've already
>> > solved most of my issues. If we still say "our official communication
>> > channel is IRC", that's what people will (try to) use.
>> >
>> > If we do get an easy "hey, press this button to talk to ironic folks",
>> it
>> > may change my mind though. Right now it seems to be IRCCloud, but I'm a
>> bit
>> > uneasy about recommending everyone to go through some private service,
>> > especially about putting something like that in our contributor's guide.
>>
>> Well, I guess what I'm asking is, if there were a Matrix bridge for
>> the #openstack-ironic IRC channel, would that be sufficient for
>> Ironic to be able to update its documentation with an "easy button"
>> pointed at Matrix instead of IRC, and connect new users on Matrix
>> with traditional IRC users for discussion?
>>

> Probably yes, assuming we can integrate Matrix with NickServ or drop the
> NickServ requirement.
>
> Great, so now when we have established that Ironic can point to matrix,
slack or whatever the current IM buzzword is (oh wait, that's right slack
killed their IRC bridge after reaching the critical mass, fortunately that
can't happen to any of the others 'cause how confusing that would be for
the new contributors). Can we please focus on the issue at the hand and do
something about the network change? I'd be still pro for libera but looks
like OFTC would be just fine too (expect some nick changes 'though).

- jokke