Freenode and libera.chat

Artem Goncharov artem.goncharov at gmail.com
Thu May 20 20:43:13 UTC 2021

On Thu, May 20, 2021, 22:30 Sean Mooney <smooney at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2021-05-20 at 20:11 +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:

> > > Same can Zulip do (our company runs own instance). But generally yes,
> this
> > > would address at least my concerns.
> >
> > Similarly, it seems like projects could then add a Zulip/IRC bridge
> > for their channels if they wanted (and maybe that would even
> > three-way bridge IRC, Matrix, and Zulip users?).
>
> matix has a number of clinets
> https://matrix.org/clients/ including what looks like two web based ones
> https://element.io/get-started and https://fluffychat.im/
> not sure how well they work in practic it kind of sound like a matix
> bridge and
> a hosted version fo say https://matrix.org/docs/projects/client/element
> whic is apache 2 liscents
> woudl sovle that use case since ironci could say go to webchat.o.o and
> connect to the ironci channel
> or soemthing like that kindo fo like how https://webchat.freenode.net/
> works as web interface to irc.
>
> if you click the try now button on https://matrix.org/ it send you to
> https://element.io/get-started where you can
> open in bowser or down lond the moble or desktop aps so it looks liek its
> endorced by matix as how new user can get started quickly.
>
> you could proably even user there hsoted version at
> https://app.element.io/?pk_vid=162154222536360a#/welcome
>
> matrix have bridge to freenod and oftc already
>
> https://github.com/matrix-org/matrix-appservice-irc/wiki/Bridged-IRC-networks
>

> not really sure about zulip but there is a brdige bot
> https://matrix.org/docs/projects/bridge/matrix-zulip-bridgebot

Thanks guys, finally we reached constructive discussion and not the
religious fight.

As long as bridge is repeating messages in both directions I think it can
address most concerns. This feels cool, feels democratic, but not an
unified way (not saying it's bad). Agree with Dmitriy that it feels like
each team using some own stuff, and not as a single community. But giving
teams flexibility is also great.