Freenode and libera.chat

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Thu May 20 18:33:57 UTC 2021

On Thu, 20 May 2021 18:02:43 +0200
Dmitry Tantsur <dtantsur at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 5:50 PM Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:

> > Threads is the most horrible concept ever invented for chat. You get
> > 100s of them, and when someone replies, you never know in which thread.

> Also, do I understand you right that when you have 3 conversations going on
> at the same time, you always have an easy time understanding which one a
> ping corresponds to? I doubt it. Threads make the situation strictly
> better, assuming people don't go overboard with them.

We have Google Chat at work at Red Hat and it's an absolutele shitshow
with threads. Replies are routinely lost and missed unless you ping the
recipient _anyway_. And, it's impossible to see what's going on in
a channel. So it's not just Slack. Google tries to mitigate it by
rotating the thread with the latest reply to the bottom. But even that
only works if you're watching them like a hawk and do nothing productive.
Works great for chat junkies or perhaps Chat Power Users, I suppose.

-- Pete