Freenode and libera.chat

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed May 19 13:49:33 UTC 2021

On 2021-05-19 14:19:02 +0100 (+0100), Erno Kuvaja wrote:
[...]
> I think it's our time to take swift action and show our support to
> all the hard working volunteers who were behind freenode and move
> all our activities to irc.libera.chat.
[...]

In past years when the stability of Freenode's service came into
question, we've asserted that OFTC would probably have been a better
home for our channels from the beginning (as they're more aligned
with our community philosophies), but we ended up on Freenode mostly
due to the Ubuntu community's presence there. We'd previously been
unable to justify the impact to users of switching networks, but
there seemed to be consensus that if Freenode shut down we'd move to
OFTC. The earliest concrete proposal I can find for this was made in
March 2014, but it's come up multiple times in the years since:

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-March/028783.html

Honestly I'd be concerned about moving to a newly-established IRC
network, and would much prefer the stability of a known and
established one.
--
Jeremy Stanley